As a MONEY IN / MONEY OUT organization, RFOH awards grants directly to REGISTERED CHARITIES across Canada.
Our Vision is realized by building strong communities of support for queer asylum seekers, refugees, and newcomers.
Applications come in through two distinct funding streams:
- Sponsorship Support – financial assistance to Canadian charities that support civil society groups working to sponsor or co-sponsor one or more individuals seeking asylum from persecution on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity and expression (SOGIE); and
- Community Services – financial assistance to Canadian charities that support SOGIE migrants under persecution to become integrated into Canadian life as newcomers.
Sponsorship Support grants facilitate asylum seeker and refugee resettlement through private sponsorship groups:
- Sponsorship Agreement Holder (SAH);
- Constituent Group (CG) with a Canadian registered charity as a co-sponsor; and
- Urgent relocation and support related to sponsorship initiatives.
Community Services grants provide refugee and newcomers resettlement services including, but not necessary limited to:
- Non-government funded health services;
- Educational services to enhance resettlement and integration;
- Counselling and mental health services;
- Social services; and
- Secure housing.
As part of the Community Services stream RFOH has partnered with the GLBA LOUD Foundation to offer scholarships that support education and training needs for queer refugees and newcomers. Applications open in November and close annually on January 31st. Click HERE for more information on how to apply.
IMPORTANT UPDATE: On July 29th, 2020 the Board decided unanimously to reduce the maximum amount per application to $5,000. The decision is due to the COVID-19 circumstances and limitations on our own capacity to give.
The decision was based on evidence of the success of our grants program, as well as the heightened level of need by an increasing number of charities in our network of national partners.
GOT A QUESTION?
For any questions about our grants, including the application process, please fill out the form below.